Monday, July 13, 2009

Mount Kinabalu I - First Day Jitter

When I signed up for this Mount Kinabalu trip, there are a lot of concerns about the success of this trip. First, whether we can make it that month with our job commitment. Second, can we really make it to the top by being not so active and fit? The answer to first question is you can’t really think much. Climbing Mount Kinabalu is like climbing Mount Everest. The mountain is always there but whether you can book the accommodation at Laban Rata is another concern.

You must bear in mind they only allow 200 climbers per day. Since Mount Kinabalu does not catch the attention of just the locals, there are many foreigners who constantly look for the opportunity to topple the highest peak in Southeast Asia. For that instant, we booked this climb 9 months ahead. You heard a lot of people’s advice regarding the fitness level required to climb this mountain. Some claimed you need to practise very hard. Some even say they don’t do any workout at all. I had a colleague in Hong Kong who told me they enrolled for the climb while they were holidaying in Kota Kinabalu. With no prior expectation of what sort of physical torture they might encountered, he told me:

“It’s very easy only la. Piece of cake.”

After listening to so many people’s “experiences”, I find one advice which I think share the same tone of mine.

A good preparation MIGHT prepare you for an easier climb to the peak. A bad preparation MIGHT also get you there BUT you might be slower during the journey or very tired at the end of the journey if compared to those who did a good preparation.

I fall in between of those two.

The night before first day

Met my fellow climbers; Han Ching, Jien Hooi, and Jay at LCCT Tune Hotel. Stayed a night at the so-called 5 stars SLEEPING experience hotel at 1 star PRICE. Certainly live up to its name. The best thing in the room is the bed itself. Tune Hotel never cheats people. What you see in the brochure or Internet of their room is what you get. In the brochure they show the picture of a comfy bed and how modern the toilet is. Wa la. That is what you get. Toilet and bed. Don’t expect any extra spaces in between. With hot shower available and optional air condition for RM 13.49 (12 hours), it suits every pockets of budget traveller like me. Clean environment. Even though that night was quite hot because of dry season, the powerful ceiling fan and a good cooling shower before my sleep were enough to last me through the night.

First day

Met up with Puah at the airport. Check-in. I was preparing to finish up all my water before entering the custom gate. Jay had forgotten that he still had one whole 1.5 litre bottle of water. Surprisingly, the customs didn’t ask us to give away his drinking water. Jien Hooi informed us that the 100 ml liquid regulation only applies to international flight. With the like of Han Ching who boasts the record of having to change her passport in 2 years because no more space to stamp due to extensive travelling, this served a shame for her and me too. So much for all those international flights that I thought I’m expert with aviation regulation only to land myself into such embarrassment by being ignorant of such exemption.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Derek who flew from Miri to join us for this trip. A guy holding my name was already waiting at the arrival gate. We went to the town to get ourselves some refreshment. We decided to enter any local Chinese shops to get something. We went to this ancient authentic old kopitiam called Fortune. The shop here is a bit different from KL. Why? You can see Malay and Chinese residents mingling around. Where on earth can you find Malay and Chinese sit in the same Chinese style eateries shop except the one that can show “halal” certificate? Here they don’t even need a “halal” certificate.

After some detour around the city, our driver fetched us and we soon embarked on our way to the foothill of Kinabalu Nature Park. Along the way he stopped us at the local souvenir shop. They have a viewing platform and most of the visitors take picture with the mountain as background. Our package includes an entry to Poring Hot Spring. Being grown up in Jalan Air Panas or Hot Spring Road, I’m sure you know this spring won’t spring anymore surprise to me. I was hoping this location will be at the end of my trip when all my legs and toes were fully battered. Well, since Poring Hot Spring belongs to Sutera Sanctuary Harbour, I guessed they have some sort of business in it. We went to Ranau to hunt for this shoes Derek called “Kampung Adidas” shoes which fellow hikers claim to be as good as Columbia hiking shoes! Borrowing Tune Hotel’s motto:

5 stars performance hiking shoes at 1 star price.

After bargaining our way to a RM7 per pair shoes, we head to our base camp to register for our hike. We were brought to our lodge. Man, I must say this is beyond what we expected. I was thinking some bunker beds but instead, we were based in one huge lodge with even fireplace! This is better than Tune Hotel! My master bedroom is even bigger than two Tune Hotel room combined! A good rest is essential to our early hike tomorrow. After attending a short briefing and treated ourselves with a sumptuous buffet dinner, I told everyone:

“Gee, I guess our tour agent must have mistakenly swapped our details with other group. This is absolutely beyond what we expected. Nice lodge & free buffet dinner.”

Judging from the price list hanged on the wall our buffet itself will cost around RM80. And that is only the first. More buffets to come. I’m sure it will exceed the price of our package itself of RM 550 all-inclusive. After all the hassles, a cosy bed was greatly welcomed.

to be continued....

3 comments:

Puah said...

I fall in between good preparation and bad preparation too. But better than all of you. Indeed RM550 for this trip is a good deal.

Puah said...

FYI, Mount Kinabalu is not highest peak in South East Asia.

Au Yong said...

Haha. I was cheated by one of the brochure then.

ـ