Thursday, December 04, 2008

Mount Nuang - Bring Nothing But Memories

Gearing up for Mount Kinabalu challenge next May, I decided to try the altitude challenge of the highest Mountain in Selangor. Mount Nuang. All the Kinabalu wannabes recommend that this mountain is a perfect stepping stone before they go for the one in Sabah. I began my journey at around 7am and reached the entrance at 8am. Of course with some F1 driving skill along the highway.

With a fee of RM1 and registering yourself at the entrance just in case you got lost and they will go hunt for you. That's what I thought initially until when I managed to get out, they didn't require me to jot down my name. So, what's the point? If I'm lost inside, they won't come and look for me. Buggers.

Those who enjoy morning walk and greenery stuff will find this place exciting. I recommend you to bring a camera to snap some photos. The reason is because you have a chance to stop a while, rest and take photos instead of marching all the way up. In the end, you get nothing but fatigue.

When I did my research on the internet, I found that trail from the entrance to the the first check point (Kem Lolo) is called "The Never-Ending Road". I was puzzled as to why they would give such a name. Believe me. It's true. The road leads you to never-ending end for 2.5 torturing hours. It's both mentally and physically challenging. As if you are inside a desert, you walk and walk and walk. Your legs are tired, you are gasping for air, you thought you saw a lagoon from far and you run towards it. But in the end, you notice it was a mirage. That is how I felt that time. At a time when you are ascending up a slope, you will think you are going upwards inching towards the peak, and then the road leads you all the way down the slope and you will think you moving away from the peak. Just how distressing it could be.

I remember during my university, I participate in a lot of jungle trekking.s But all the trekkings were done at night. I can't see anything and I don't wish to see either at that time. Thinking that I have done so many outdoor trips like this, this Mount Nuang is nothing but peanut. I was proven wrong yet again.

Those days, I went jungle trekking in one whole pack of group and it was done at night some more. So everyone is cautious with their steps and walked at a slow pace, thus less tiring. But with me going alone with Han Ching, there's no one who will slow down the pace.

We almost got lost a few times, only for us to sense that something was wrong when the road is being covered with too many bushes and the fact that we didn't realise we need to cross a river when we reached a gigantic water pipe. Trust me. Follow the pipe no matter what. Another tips is to follow a red and white stripe tape tied on tree branches. This is the mark done by the ranger to prevent first timer like us from going the wrong way.

After almost half-dead, we reached the first check point, Kem Lolo. Luckily they don't called it Kem Lulu. We were put to embarrassment when a group of uncle and auntie was even more energetic than us. They were offering some tacit support by leading us the way to the next check point, Kem Pacat. Luckily, they don't called it Kem Cacat. But the road from Kem Lolo to Kem Pacat was even tougher. You are now climbing the steep hill. To make thing worse, it began to rain. I have to called it off because I remembered Tham telling me how dangerous it could be when it rains. I'm glad I heeded his advice. The road leading back to the main entrance is wet and slippery. Our descent was tougher than the ascent. I slipped a few time because my shoes does not have the stud that prevent me from sliding off the ground. Another good tips for the trekker, wear football boots!

There's a Malay saying, "Sediakan payung sebelum hujan". I brought almost everything preparing myself for any mishaps. Luckily, I brought a rain coat and spared it to Han Ching while I took out my everlasting, ever trusted and multipurpose jacket. For those who go for trekking with girls, please remember this. In their mind:

"NO NEED BRING ONE LA! NO NEED SO MA FAN!"

So, be prepared to bring all the necessary medicine and extra food just in case. It will come in handy when you really need it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go gunung nunang. No ask me to join. i also need training.

Au Yong said...

LOL. I t was kind of last minute. Dun worry. i didn't manage to go all the way up. Will ajak u next time. Promise.

Anonymous said...

Ok ok, next time I bring umbrella lo...sei meh?

TummyFull said...

Puah, don't become a lamp post between Au Yong & his gf. haha...

Anonymous said...

Yup ho. I will become a lamp post. Forget it.

Au Yong said...

No la. Don't worry. Actually we kind of regret we went alone because a group will be better in term safety.

ـ