Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Day 1 Million Youngsters Spoilt My Company Event


Company event was something which I always perceive as an event where the whole company goes out for a little get-together. I always into the idea of going out traveling. I missed the last time the company went for a holiday trip to Melaka as I was in Middle East posting.


I've seen company going for a Mount Kinabalu hike. Angkor Wat trip. Though it is something to be jealous of, but sometimes instead if thinking negatives why not count our blessings? One of my colleague said to everyone in the meeting,


"Why are you complaining so much? In my previous company they don't even have annual dinner!"

True. We have to go back to basic and reality. We are being paid salary. That keeps a roof above of us. Meal on the table. And wheels on the road. Bonus and annual event is deemed an extra thingy. If you have it, then we should be thankful. If we don't have, life just goes on.


Having been an organiser for two dinner functions in my university, makes me appreciate the effort of the organiser. Meeting. Marketing. Sponsors. Venue. Decision making. Effort to please everyone (that's the toughest part). Of course when there is a list of 3 choices given to us to choose from, we tend to come up with the fourth choice which is our own "suggestion". There is always a possibility that you won't get a round table agreement unless choice number one is an all-expense paid 5D 4N trip to Disneyland! 


Even when the venue was chosen, people will start arguing that their partners and family members need to be in the event too. Now this is the part which I have my reservation on. First and foremost, please get this right. Company even is supposed to be a company staff event. Though I understand that partners and family are  important person to each staff but I always believe that annual event is something where we get along with our colleague and build up a better teamwork. It does not serve the purpose if you are just sitting with your family the whole event. But, if they allowed and budget is there, then why not? Never say no when there is a "rezeki".


Fortunately, the lucky draw are entirely for the staff. Just imagine, if there are top three prizes of IPad2, IPhone 4G and IPod Touch went to the wife of XXX or the child of YYY .


Shoot!!!  I'm sure you won't get along with that colleague/ boss for one week (unless that XXX and YYY are your family members!). Nevertheless, a sumptuous meal, slimmest thumb drive and a good RM200 shopping voucher.

No comments:

ـ