Monday, December 12, 2011

My First Building As An Engineer


As an engineer, nothing is as proud as designing your own first building. When I first started working, never crossed my mind that I will be getting the chance of designing a building. Though not that fancy multi-storey skyscraper, but to be able to have a building under your name is already quite a remarkable platform to me personally.


I posted so many pictures with the iconic buildings behind as background. But I think this picture deserved to be ranked among the top on my list. Not a significant landmark. But it's just me and the structure I designed. With not much computer involved, I was taught the hard way of using pencil and calculator by the senior checking my work. I remember one of the great story my lecturer once told me. In the old days, a bridge engineer was asked to design a bridge while he's on his business trip on one evening. With such short notice, he asked for one pencil and a few sheets of paper from the lobby. He worked over the night. The next morning, he submitted his design and calculation complete with the sketches of the bridge to be built. By just using pencil and paper, he had charted the fortune of the people who will benefit from the construction of that bridge.


Though I was not involved during the construction, I have this guy above supervising the whole construction process from A to Z. We had our ups and downs with constant telephone calls, letters and emails dealing with site issues. Luckily, this guy is so high in EQ that he managed to deal with lots of issue faced. Though I felt a bit guilty at times as I was too busy with office issue that sometimes I can't lend a hand and he had to face the bricksbats eventually. Nevertheless, I take that as a learning curve in my life. I have to be thankful to so many people for giving me the chance to entrust me with this task.

No comments:

ـ